Four hours of heaven

According to the BBC weather lady the little warm spell we have been having was sadly coming to an end.
So as Friday was my day off I took the opportunity to head for our little river to catch a trout or two.

I arrived at Shotleybridge at twelve noon and stood on the new footbridge looking downstream to see if any trout were rising.
No obvious hatches were visible so I tackled up Newzealand dropper style. This involves tying on a very visible klinkhammer and adding a dropper of about 12 to16 inches from the bend of the Klink. The dropper I used was a size 18 silver beaded gold ribbed hares ear.
I figured that the warm weather would have pushed the trout up in to the more oxygenated faster water and this method over the years has caught me more fish than I care to count.
I’d decided earlier to use a 9ft mid flex 4 wht rod as this would allow me a good degree of control .
I fished through every pocket of fast water I could see and caught wild trout after wild trout as well as I’m happy to say two nice out of season Grayling.
I was surprised not to pick up any stocked fish but I put this down to the wild trout moving to faster water and the stock pond feeding patterns of stocked trout .

I moved up river for the next few hours heading for the road bridge at Allensford when I noticed a hatch of Olives starting.
I quickly switched to a remarkable fly called an Olive Jingler first shown to me by Ian Colborne and parked myself in the grass at high sandies. To my delight I only caught my first trout of the season on a dry fly, I’d love to say it was a fighting fit two pounder but it was more like 6 oz but it didn’t matter to me.
As I released him back the hatch stopped and so did the rises so off I continued onwards and upwards until I reached Allensford bridge and noticed the pool was unfishible because some bright spark upstream had been trimming branches off trees and dumped them in the river to collect below the dridge.
As I had chest waders on I spent half an hour removing the offending branches only to find the small branches were connected to rather large ones that required a lot of effort to shift.
As the pool was well and rule spooked I went above the bridge and caught a cracking 1ib wild trout, this one rising to the Klink.
As I headed back towards home I fished some slower pools using I small bloodworm imitation and low and behold my first 2015 grayling came to the net. Both about 10 inches and in top condition.
And that was that , my day was done , my four hours were up.
But great days never linger long in the memory as I’m far two busy planning my next trip out. And that’s Thursday ,Blackhall Mill to Ebchester……I can’t wait..
Tight lines.
Alan Farbridge

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.