Welcome to the Derwent Angling Association established in 1865.
The association is in the heart of the Derwent valley which borders Co.Durham and Northumberland. It is home to brown trout and grayling and offers anglers a chance to fish in unspoilt countryside ‘Far from the madding crowds’.
The river gathers momentum on the moors and fells 1700 ft above sea level where two streams meet. Beldon Burn and Nookton Burn collide at Gibraltar Rock to become the River Derwent, approximately a mile west of Blanchland and flows 35 miles until it enters the River Tyne at Derwenthaugh.
On its journey it passes through the historic village of Blanchland which means ‘white land’ referring to the white robes worn by the monks of the Premonstratensian order established there in 1165. The river widens at the Derwent Reservoir, opened on July 18th 1967 to supply drinking water to Durham and Sunderland . It also doubles as a sailing club and a premier trout fishery.
The association water starts just below the reservoir and twists and turns for 15 miles through Muggleswick Gorge, Allensford then Shotley Bridge made famous in the 17th century for sword making and then on to the village of Ebchester, a Roman fort on Dere street established AD 80 and finishes below Chopwell Woods at Lintzford, the site of the world famous ‘Richardson Printing Ink Co.’now a luxury housing development .